acid smell in strawberry wine

Post your winemaking questions here

acid smell in strawberry wine

Postby krwbypops » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:45 am

I had made two batches of strawberry wine from frozen berries, went thru ferm. clearing, sweeted it. It looked like the one batch was done so I bottled it. About a month later the corks started to blow. I reopened the bottles it was working in the bottles, like steam popped out when the corks where removed. I put the rest in a carboy. The bubbler isn't working, I am confused. The other batch which I haven't remove from the ferm. bucket, I pop the top, stick my nose close to the wine and I get a burning in my nose. And there is bubbling coming up from the bottle. The bubbler valve isn't working. I have been making wine for four years, from kits, to chile wine, pumpkin, sweet potato, watermelow, blueberry, all from fresh fruits I never had this problem. I hate to toss it out but I will because I don't want to make anyone sick. Any help out there whats going on. Thanks
krwbypops

Re: acid smell in strawberry wine

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 pm

It can't make you sick. On the batch that blew the corks, did you add any sweetener prior to bottling it? On the batch that smells bad, did you add any sulfur dioxide to it?

thanks
john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby krwbypops » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

The batch that blew corks I did add sugar but I put in Potassuim sorbate prior to sweeting. The batch in the ferm. bucket no I did not add sulfur dioxide.
krwbypops

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Was the pot sorbate fresh? it does have a limited shelf life (about a year). Was the wine clear when you added the sorbate and sweetner? Sorbate won't work if the wine isn't clear. These are the two most likely problems with the cork popping batch. Is the wine that popped corks carbonated?

For the batch with the sulfur odor, trying racking or pouring it back and forth between a couple of jugs letting it splash quite a bit. That should help get the odor out. If it throws more sediment in a week or two rack it right away.

john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby krwbypops » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 am

The first is more and likely the problem, the sorbate was old, my was around a year, and the wine was clear. So can I add some good sorbate to the wine? Also I will try the second on the wine still in the bucket. But it could have the same affect when bottled since I used the same sorbate, correct? Thanks
krwbypops

Postby grapeadmin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 am

Correct. Try adding fresh sorbate, a small amount of sulfite (1/4 tsp per 5 gallons) and rebottle. You may also have to add more sugar if some of your sweetner fermented. Be sure the wine is clear before you do these steps and rebottle.

john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby krwbypops » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:52 pm

John thanks, will try and let you know.
krwbypops

Postby grapeadmin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Sounds good.

john