Using Bentonite in Niagara wine

Post your winemaking questions here

Using Bentonite in Niagara wine

Postby Buckone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello John.......
I have written you before about clearing Niagara wine. Last year I tried the cold stabalization process you suggested and it helped considerably. However, in an attempt to clear it further, this year following the cold stabalization process and racking off I have added a slurry mixture of 1 tablespoon Bentonite and 1 cup water to 5 gallons of Niagara wine. I did this a week ago and also added 5 campden tablets. The wine has really cleared but when I shine a light through it, there looks to be a "million" microscopic sparkling particles suspended in the wine.

Is this normal?

How long should the bentonite be left in the wine?

It is still in my camper with a heater set at 40 degrees. Depending on your suggestions, I was going to leave it there another week (2 weeks total) and then rack it off the sediment, bring it into my basement to come to room temperature, sweeten to taste, add stabalizer and then bottle. This is my first use of any clearing agent.

What do you think and what would you reccomend? .

Thank you! Allan
Buckone

Re: Using Bentonite in Niagara wine

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 am

As you said I would leave it another week and then bring it in and rack it. Once it warms, check the clarity and see if you still have the sparkling effect. The sparkling could be the combination of bentonite and the cold temps. I have not seen this myself. If for some reason it does not want to clear completely, I would recommend filtering it. I would wait and see what happens though.

thanks
john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby Buckone » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello John,

I did as you suggested. I racked to wine off after the "cold stabilaztion process" and brought it into the warmth and it cleared perffectly clear. I am very happy with it. Thanks for the advice and reassurance!

Allan
Buckone

Postby grapeadmin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Wonderful! Glad to hear it!!!

john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Return to Winemaking Forum