MLF or something else?

Post your winemaking questions here

MLF or something else?

Postby timmor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:08 pm

I have 2 demijohns of identical wine (40% Grenache, 40% Syrah, 20% Carigange). I added MLF inoculant at the end of primary fermentation on 10-20. Both demijohns have been actively bubbling this entire time. The bubbles have been very small and the wine has been clearing up nicely and I assume the bubbling is the MLF. Within the past week one demijohn started bubbling with MUCH bigger bubbles and they seem to be coming from the lees because the wine is getting cloudy. The other demijohn is still actively bubbling with the very small bubbles.

Any thoughts on what is happening and if it is a problem.
Tim M.
timmor

Re: MLF or something else?

Postby grapeadmin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 am

Could be trapped gas in the liquid or lees. When did you rack it last? I would rack them off the lees and then top up again. This should get rid of the bubbling.

john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby timmor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks John,

I had never racked the wine during secondary fermentation because I wanted the lees to facilitate MLF. So I racked it today and added 30 ppm of Potassium Meta.

I have kept the wine at ~ 68 degrees for the MLF. One thing that I noticed was a large number of tartrate crystals growing on the Oak Flavoring Tube and settled in the lees. I was a little surprised since the wine has never been kept below that temperature.
Tim M.
timmor

Postby grapeadmin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm

It happens. I guess maybe it depends on how stable the tartaric acid is. Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right path.

john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Return to Winemaking Forum