Making fruit wines in Costa Rica????

Post your winemaking questions here

Making fruit wines in Costa Rica????

Postby sohojoe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 pm

I live in South Pacific Costa Rica and was referred to G&G by an Ohio friend. I have a list of things he told me to get... yeast, pectin enzyme, grape tannin, sugar, potassium sorbate, yeast nutrient, campden tablets. On an older thread I read Cote de blanc is a good yeast for fruit wines, any others someone could recommend? Soon (summer is around the corner here) we will have a bounty of lots of fruits I would like to try making wines with, mango, starfruit, bananas, etc... We dehydrate, can, and eat as much as we can, but still there is much more fruit. Also, we have been making ginger ale with ginger from the garden, sugar, yeast, and a little lemon. Very delicious, probably better with champagne yeast. I am currently in Florida, making my order and will start when I get back there. One of my concerns is temperature, its quite warm here, 86 degrees seems to be the high end for yeasts and such. I can keep it cooler in some type of a water bath, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
sohojoe

Re: Making fruit wines in Costa Rica????

Postby grapeadmin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Cote de blanc would be fine for most any wine buy especially fruit wine. Even fermenting fairly warm I think would still produce a decent wine. I would not let a warmer ferment temp keep me from making wine. If you put a wet towel over the primary and blow a fan across it, it will help keep it a bit cooler.

john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Return to Winemaking Forum