wine temperature concerns?

Post your winemaking questions here

wine temperature concerns?

Postby beerman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm

John,
In a past thread/topic I asked about wine fermenting temps...and you answered.
For wine the ideal primary temp would be 65-80 deg F.. For secondary, 60-70 deg F.

I currently have a steam beer G&G ingredient kit secondary fermenting in a basement that will get bottled in a few weeks. The basement temperature as of last week was about 76F.

I have two options, a vinters reserve coastal red wine kit, and a 1/2 all grain recipe for a munich helles beer. I was thinking of trying the wine kit, but concerned that the temps might increase even more in August and be too warm for at least the secondary range that you stated. Any thoughts?
beerman

Re: wine temperature concerns?

Postby grapeadmin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 am

It would not hurt the wine kit. If you are fermenting and storing it in a basement, just keep it on the floor. The temp would be fine for the wine.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks John,
The vinters reserve coastal red wine kit it is.

It'll be about 4 months until Thanksgiving and then Christmas, so starting in August should give me some bottle aging time to get the wine close to it's prime. If it turns out well it would be nice to have for the family gatherings around the holidays. I initially was thinking of using some oak chips I have from an IPA beer made a long time ago, but for a 1st try I'm not going to alter anything.
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm

That sounds like a good plan to me.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 am

John any other particulars apart from the provided instructions?
What about gypsum or CaCl added to the water (similar to home brew for my soft water)?

I'll be using my primary bucket with the airlock tube blow off set up, and trying for the full 6 gal.
(pushing the limits of a 6.5 fermenting bucket)
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 pm

There are no water adjustments to make at all. You will be pushing the limits of the fermenter but it should be ok as there is not as much foaming as beer. Don't over think it. It is easier than beer.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 am

o.k. I'll keep it simple.
-When the kit instructions call for "Metabisulphite powder for sanitising"
can I use easy clean or maybe some idophor, or bleach etc. that I already have?

-I also don't have a wine hydrometer, so should I bother "guesstimating" by using a beer hydrometer or don't bother with these readings?

-In the instructions when they say use hot water to dissolve the bentonite and then also warm water rinsing the empty wine bag. Are they talking about those volumes of water taken to boiling or what temp. in a separate pot then added to the fermenter and mixed?
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 am

Yes, any sanitizer is fine. The ones that you mention are probably better and stronger than pot meta anyway. I would use the beer hydrometer. You should be able to get a good 'guestimate' that way and then you will have a reference point.

They are not talking about boiling water. Just hot or warm water from the tap (say 100-120 deg F).

thanks!
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 am

I never did get to this "winexpert vintners reserve coastal red" kit last summer. Hopefully this spring/summer.

-Any expiration dates for the kit or yeast, I couldn't find any on the box?
-Since I have campden tablets now, is this a better sanitizer option?
-I've been chlorine/chloromine treating my beer brew water lately with campden, I would think removing chlorine is a good plan for wine?

Thanks
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 am

They are good for at least a year. The manufacture date is on the top of the box. Cover up the first two numbers and the rest is the manufacture date (e.g. XX12510) would be the 125th day of 2010.

I would not us campden to sanitize equipment. It take too many of them to make it the proper strength. Use them to add to the wine.

The sulfite already in the juice reacts with any chlorine that might be in the water so it will happen automatically. I don't think it would hurt but it would not be necessary.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm

The box I got last year (ordered 3/22/2010) and hopefully will try over the spring/summer has 0829409 (294th day of 2009)
It will be aprox. 1yr 8 months old by june, will the mix, yeast, etc. still be o.k.?

Thanks
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 am

I would open it up and smell, taste the juice. If it is not browning, it should be fine.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:05 am

John,
Concerning my question that I've been chlorine/chloromine treating my beer brew water lately with campden, I would think removing chlorine is a good plan for wine?

You answered,
The sulfite already in the juice reacts with any chlorine that might be in the water so it will happen automatically. I don't think it would hurt but it would not be necessary.

-Just to be sure, I don't need to even britta pitcher filter my water?

Thanks
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 pm

That is correct. If the wine juice (or concentrate) has been sulfited you don't need to remove the chlorine. It will react with the sulfite. It would not hurt to filter it but it would not be necessary.

john
g and g
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 am

John or others,

For wine the ideal primary temp would be 65-80 deg F.. For secondary, 60-70 deg F.

-Do the higher temps yield more esters, phenols, etc. the same way beer ale yeast works?
-If my primary temps are around 78-80F, am I not giving the 1st try wine kit a good chance?

Thanks
beerman

Next

Return to Winemaking Forum