homebrewer trying wine making question?

Post your winemaking questions here

homebrewer trying wine making question?

Postby beerman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:36 am

Having the equipment for 5 gal. 2 stage ferment for beer (primary bucket, 5 gal. glass carboy, bottling bucket etc.)

-what would the cheapest 1st try be? (seems like 2-3 cans of sun country concentrate around $17 each, with extra additives, yeast etc. might be)

-could a dry red, be bottled in my 22oz. beer bottles and beer bottle caped?
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Yes, that would likely be the cheapest way to go. The Winexpert and RJ Spagnols kits make 6 gallons and your equipment is for 5 so that would be another good reason to go with the Sun Country. Yes, you can bottle it in beer bottles and cap it just like beer.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 am

The sun country reds page states "Alexanders concentrates require the addition of tannin, yeast nutrient, water, wine yeast and pectic enzyme. They may also require acid blend (use acid test kit), sugar and a fining agent. Titrate to 0.50% "

-Using 2 or should it be 3 cans of the Ruby Cabernet, and a dry red style yeast (liquid or dry?) how much of these other extra additives do I need?

tannin $2
yeast nutrient $1-2
wine yeast $1-6
pectic enzyme $1
acid blend $1
acid test kit $7
other pH test, strips etc.
finning agent ?
Wine hydrometer (can I get away with my beer hydrometer or not possibly with its scale range?)
malolactic culture $9

Basically looking to maybe attempt a low cost trial dry red.

-Also, only having 1 carboy can the transfers(rackings) be to my bottling bucket and then back into the same cleaned out carboy?
-How long would all this ideally take in the carboy before bottling (the carboy will be tried up for about 2 months?) then how long bottle aged to become decent?
Asking because I like red wine, but I like beer more :D and will need the carboy for secondary beer ferments.
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:48 pm

See responses in bold below:

beerman wrote:The sun country reds page states "Alexanders concentrates require the addition of tannin, yeast nutrient, water, wine yeast and pectic enzyme. They may also require acid blend (use acid test kit), sugar and a fining agent. Titrate to 0.50% "

-Using 2 or should it be 3 cans of the Ruby Cabernet, and a dry red style yeast (liquid or dry?) how much of these other extra additives do I need?

tannin $2- 1 tsp
yeast nutrient $1-2- 1 oz
wine yeast $1-6- 1 pack is all you need .50/pack
pectic enzyme $1- 2 tsp
acid blend $1- less than 2 oz
acid test kit $7- don't bother, you can't test it
other pH test, strips etc.- don't need it
finning agent ?- it should clear on it's own, otherwise try isinglass
Wine hydrometer (can I get away with my beer hydrometer or not possibly with its scale range?)- Initial reading will be off the scale
malolactic culture $9- don't do it with concentrate wines

Basically looking to maybe attempt a low cost trial dry red.

-Also, only having 1 carboy can the transfers(rackings) be to my bottling bucket and then back into the same cleaned out carboy? Yes
-How long would all this ideally take in the carboy before bottling (the carboy will be tried up for about 2 months?) then how long bottle aged to become decent? It will take about 2-3 months before you bottle and then increase in quality for about a year or more.
Asking because I like red wine, but I like beer more :D and will need the carboy for secondary beer ferments.
I understand!
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 am

If I need more than 3, 46oz. sun country cans of red concentrate?
It might be more cost effective to use a wine expert reserve kit from $67-74 with all the extra's included? (reserving some of the extra juice for the topping off steps in 1/2 gal. jugs)
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

That is true. If you want a full bodied wine and are going to use three cans, you might as well just get a Vintners Reserve kit which comes with all the ingredients and is more fool proof.

john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:01 am

-With my 5 gal. gear (6.5 gal. fermenting bucket and 5 gal. glass carboy) would it be better/easier to primary ferment the entire 6 gal. or 5.5 gal to avoid an overflowing primary?

-This would yield a higher S.G. with problems? or just a higher alcohol finished product
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Wine without fruit pulp does not foam that much so you could probably ferment 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon primary without it overflowing. It would be close though. I would make 5 gallons since you have the 5 gallon carboy. Just be sure to start with a SG of about 1.090. That way the finished wine will not be to 'hot' and the yeast will ferment it dry.

john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Re: homebrewer trying wine making question?

Postby beerman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 am

So, could I use my beer hydrometer and "guesstimate" a S.G. of 1.090?
Then save the remaining juice in a 1/2 gallon jug for topping off the secondary later?

Or, would it be better/easier to primary ferment it all about 6 gal in my 6.5 fermenter? Then secondary rack to my 5 gal carboy and save some of this primary extra in a airlock 1/2 gal jug for latter secondary transfer topping off?
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:41 pm

I would go the second route. Ferment it all in the 6.5 gal primary. Just keep a close eye on it.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 am

-Trying to figure out a schedule to try out a winexpert reserve coastal red kit.
considering my previous question that you answered:
-How long would all this ideally take in the carboy before bottling (the carboy will be tried up for about 2 months?) then how long bottle aged to become decent? It will take about 2-3 months before you bottle and then increase in quality for about a year or more.
. Would it be better to try this in the fall, since I don't have a constant air conditioned space to keep the carboy in? I don't plan to brew for the hottest months of July and August and this might be prime time for my only 5 gal. carboy to be used for wine? I do have access to a family house that has a basement if necessary for the summer storage of the wine carboy.
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am

The reserve kits are ready to bottle in 4 weeks. 1 week in the primary and 3 weeks in the secondary. The biggest challenge this time of year would be keeping it warm during the first week or two. I use a heating pad under the primary when fermenting in the basement this time of year. I don't think you need to wait till the fall. Now would be a good time.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry John, I wasn't clear.
I was thinking of doing the wine maybe late spring or summer when beer brewing temps become difficult. I thought it would be too warm in the summer for the wine and that's the only reason I mentioned the basement.

-What is the ideal temp range for the primary ferment? Ideal temp for the secondary?
-After 4 weeks or so, the bottled wine could be stored in this basement over the summer to keep them cool for proper aging?
beerman

Postby grapeadmin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:13 am

For wine the ideal primary temp would be 65-80 deg F.. For secondary, 60-70 deg F.

Yes, the wine could be stored in the bottles in a basement over the summer with no problems.

thanks
john
grapeadmin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:01 am

I was initially thinking coastal red but all the other reds are only 1-7 more $
Would something different be a better 1st attempt?
merlot, shiraz, cabernet, valpolicella, bouijolais are the 8) usual suspect meal time reds for the family

I also have a small amount of french oak chips from a past IPA beer recipe, I'd have to weigh it, maybe 2 oz.
I don't prefer very strong oak flavor.
beerman

Next

Return to Winemaking Forum